Results April 9th & 10th

April 13, 2011 · Filed Under Club News 

Mini Soccer

Under 7’s lost 5-1 to FC Spartans with Luke O Keefe scoring and Sam Whelan Man of Match

Under 8,9,10 – No Report



Under 10s –  no fixture this week
Under 12s –  The girls marched onto the Knockout cup final today with strong display against a well prepared Irby team. 

Upton were confident coming into this game as team spirit is high and all of the girls are enjoying themselves on the pitch. Shannon Navarro was leading the line today with support from Rebecca Pritchard-Howarth and Emma Johnson on the wings. Shannon came close with a string of shots and Irby defended well to keep us out. The impressive Charlotte Carroll worked tirelessly in midfield and even took 10 minutes in goal, where she had to collect a couple of Irby shots.

After 15 minutes we hadn’t broken the stalemate. Enter stage right Olivia Radford and Elizabeth Sullivan, who  injected a renewed urgency. Olivia  picked up the ball in the box and seemed to be heading away from goal, then a superb turn allowed her the space to cross. Rebecca met the ball just on the edge of the box, she had to deal with pressure from  2 defenders but again was cool headed and hit a wonderful shot to the far post which nestled in the net to a record her 5th goal of the season. Half time – 1-0 Upton.

Irby came out fighting and we had a nervous 10 minutes, but with solid battling from Charlotte McNay and Katie Murray in the middle we broke down most attacks and Morgan Mayes (now keeper) dealt comfortably with anything in the goal area, Rebecca (now in defence) aided by Emma dealt with the rest.

Jasmine Pugh, Captain for the day was really lively around the edge of the Irby box and was unlucky not to score today (some days they just don’t go in!). Libby Boulger (the birthday girl) was also busy around the box but couldn’t break through. Then the in-form Shannon collected another super Olivia cross. Turning quickly under pressure, she hit the ball with proper venom, giving the keeper no chance – her 6th of the season and third goal in two games. As the roof of the net bulged, the relief on the Upton touchline was audible –  2-0 Upton.

With the nerves settled Upton started to dominate the game, Katie took over in goal and demonstrated a really impressive goal kick, helping Elizabeth to go on several excellent runs down the left wing. She showed outstanding ball control skills, stretching the Irby defence. Olivia on the other side took on the Irby defence and smashed in a well deserved goal for herself, her 2nd of the season, to make it 3-0 on the day.

This was a very competitive game played in 20 degrees. Irby played well but with a small squad on display today, some carrying injuries. I feel that fatigue played a part and they deserve credit for their work rate. The ref also had a good game, signalling ‘advantage’ when practical to keep the game flowing.

Today’s girl of the game was Rebecca Pritchard-Howarth who was outstanding in all the jobs asked of her, scoring as right winger, controlling the play in midfield and solid and composed as defender
Under 14s were due to play Ridgewood Rangers in the first round of the Challenge Cup, but the opposition could not field a team and we assume that Upton are through to the semi finals
Under 14 Rangers had no fixture this weekend
Under 16s were due to play their Knockout Cup semi final against Delta, but the game was moved by the League to next Thursday because 6 of Delta’s players had to attend school in connection with their GCSE assessments on Saturday.


Under 11’s lost 3-2 to Peninsula Stars with goals from Aidan Keogh and Man of Match John Adediran

Under 12 – No Game

Under 13’s  went down 3-0 to League Champions and Cup Final opponents Rakers with all 3 goals in last 15 minutes giving real hope for the final, Joe Abraham was Man of Match.

Under 14’s drew 3-3 in midweek with Beechwood with goals from Tom Murphy, Mitchell Duggan, Alex Pitt with Robert Cull Man of Match.

Under 15’s won through on penalties after a hard fought game against Peninsular Stars in the semi-final of the Challenge Cup. Playing only 7 days after their last encounter ended in a draw it was always going to be a tight game and the opening exchanges were devoid of flowing football as the narrow pitch meant the ball spent most of the time in the air.  Playing downhill Stars applied most of the opening pressure but a quick counter attack saw Upton take the lead as Crawford poked the ball home from close range after a Walker shot was blocked on the line. This gave Upton confidence and they started to string some passes together but then a lapse of concentration at the back saw Stars break through and equalise. Upton came out all guns blazing at the start of the second half, with Walker and Owens hitting the woodwork and Hoijord-Beard having a shot excellently saved by the Stars keeper it seemed only a matter of time before Upton re-took the lead but against the run of play Stars took the lead. The game was then marred by a series of stoppages as tempers threatened to fray but the referee used all his experience to keep the game flowng and things settled down again. Walker was looking more and more dangerous, with Perryman and Newitt tightening things up at the back it seemed only a matter of time before Upton equalised. When the equaliser did come it was a scrappy one with Aspinall poking home from a yard out after a sliced clearance following a corner. Both teams went in search of a winner but extra-time arrived and despite a last-minute shot from Owens that crept centimetres wide it was down to penalties. With Stars missing their first two much of the pressure was off the Upton players but they made no mistake converting all 4 with no need to take the fifth. Strong performances across the team but Man of the Match was Newitt

The Youth Team also won on penalties against Northwood to reach the Youth Cup Final, well done to all connected to the team. 



Leave a Reply