Results Jan 22nd & 23rd

January 25, 2011 · Filed Under Club News 

Mini Soccer

The Under 7’s had a close game with Manor Wolves going down 2-1 with Aaron Clausen scoring and Paul New claiming Man of Match 

The Under 8’s had an excellent game with West Kirby Wasps drawing 2-2. It was another battling performance from our lads who came from behind twice to earn a draw. Having started very slowly, we went behind to an organised West Kirby side, who were quick out of the blocks. However, this seemed to spur the lads on, and a couple of chances quickly followed with a couple of good runs from Luke. The game swung from end to end, with some good chances for either side, before Alex Clarke equalised from what seemed an impossible angle. In fact all the parents and coaches were shouting for him to let it go for a corner, but instead he wrapped his foot round the ball to see it nestle in the net after coming off the far post. A momentary lapse at the back then let in West Kirby to go back in the lead just before half time. However, the lads came out in the second half and pressed for the equaliser straight from the start. Some fantastic crosses and corners from James really put the pressure on the West Kirby defence, and it was one of these corners that proved vital. James placed a corner right in the heart of the goal mouth, and with the West Kirby defence in confusion Alex Clarke was quick to pounce and stabbed home the ball from close range. With the game flowing from end to end, chances came thick and fast in the final minutes. However, there were to be no more goals, and a draw was probably a fair result, with Upton having a lions share of the late chances. Once again the lads had produced a great battling performance. James Smith was Man of Match

The Under 9’s had a 2-0 win over NBS Rangers  in a game that was a potential banana skin for Upton but they need not have worried as the performance that the team displayed was quite remarkable. From the start Upton were busy putting out little fires that a physical Rangers side were causing. Upton do not play a physical game and were well outside their comfort zone today so standing toe to toe and getting stuck in does not come naturally to the guys. However, that’s what was required and that’s what was given and Reece Pirie and Lewis Heath, only 50% fit, were putting in granite performances to win the ball setting up counter attacks from Connor Jones and Reece Gannon. Skipper Owen Burns, again taking knock after knock during the game, and Joshua Lynch, solid as a rock again, are quickly developing into a terrific pairing in defence. Reece Gannon was leading the line well against players twice his size and Upton were really dominant for long periods of the first half with Jack Torpey causing all sorts of problems in a game that wasn’t suited to his nimble footwork. Again and again he breached the Rangers defence only for the final pass to be too short or intercepted. However, a corner for Upton was taken by Pirie, beautifully flighted into the area and only half cleared into the air. The ball fell to man of the match Connor Jones, who was quite outstanding today in every area, who volleyed the ball first time causing it to loop over the flailing Rangers keeper. 1-0 to Upton and it was thoroughly deserved!! The first half continued in this vane until shortly before half-time when a half chance for Rangers was nearly converted. The ball was played between Burns and Lynch and the Rangers striker was through. The pair lunged into the Rangers player just as he unleashed a fierce shot. The advancing keeper, Zak Hemsworth, made what could only be described as a world class stop. The ball, going over his head at speed, was padded away by the keeper who had no business ever getting to it. Unbelievable! 1-0 half-time. The second half continued with Upton pushing for a second. Lewis Heath was feeling the effects of a cold and was given little rests to get his breath back creating a few little cameo appearances for ‘super sub’ Mark Lewis. Lewis had a few chances in the box and came close twice only for the ball to go agonisingly wide. The big lad was annoying the opposition keeper at set pieces with his presence around the area. Heath came back on and found himself in space six yards out only for the keeper to save. Five minutes later he was in the same position after a goalmouth scramble. The ball at his feet, it was smashed home. 2-0! Connor Jones continued to work tirelessly and helped preserve the score with his runs out of defence. Burns and Lynch still solid and Pirie had his best game in an Upton shirtAnd that’s how it stayed. Full-time. All in all, a tremendous performance against a spoiling, physical side who play good football themselves. This is a good scalp for Upton who have been dominated by NBS teams in previous encounters. A great display. 

The Under 10’s – No Details


Under 10s kept up the good form they showed last week in running high flying Rakers so close in the cup, by winning 5-0 away to Liscard Ladies with a hat trick for Player of the Match Anna Cull and further strikes from Ellen Mcgowan and Taylor Mayes
Under 12s got back into action after a bye in the cup last week, winning a physical encounter against Beechwood 3 – 1. Great runs and crosses from Olivia Radford on the right wing set up two easy goals for Elizabeth Sullivan in the first half. A good strike from Rebecca Prichard-Howarth made it 3 – 0 in the second half before Beechwood scored a consolation breakaway goal as Upton pressed for the fourth.  Shannon Navarro was player of the match.
Under 14 Rangers had drawn 7 – 7 away to Irby earlier in the season, coming back from 2 down late on.  In a similarly close end to end encounter, the return fixture was a 4-4 draw. Irby took an early 2-0 lead as Upton were a little slow to deal with the Irby captain and playmaker. However, in an excellent personal performance, Jodie Williams scored two superb strikes with her left foot to draw the teams level, before an unfortunate slip in the area allowed Irby to take the lead again,  Leah McNay hit another long distance left footer into the top corner to even it up at half time. Isabel Nolan scored to give Upton the lead early in the second half, and both sides had further chances (Jodie hitting the bar) before Irby snatched an equaliser. Overall a fair result and a great game for all those watching, with both keepers taking a lot of credit for a number of excellent saves. Poppy Buckley was named player of the match by Irby.
Under 14s were up against Wirral Hawks Ladies, who are first or second in the league. Hawks took a 2-0 lead in to half time purely on the brilliance of two strikes from the impressive Hannah Robertson, but Upton had played their part and the game did not look out of reach.  Unfortunately, the second half saw Hawks score another 7 without reply, which certainly didn’t reflect the game overall, and some excellent performances by our defenders. Georgia McGeough was voted player of the match by Hawks.
Under 16s did not have a game this week


The Under 11’s are now in 2nd place after a 3-1 win over FC Blades with 2 goals from Aaron Finlay and a strike from Joshua Smith with Michael Pearsall Man of Match

The Under 12’s put up another fine display and once again deserved more than a 4-1 defeat to title favourites Beechwood, Guy Stratton scored with alex Highton Man of Match

The Under 13’s had a tough day losing 4-0 to unbeaten Wallasey Wanderers though they had plenty of chances to get something from the game. Christian Rule was Man of Match

The Under 14’s lost for the first time since the opening day against reigning champions Manor losing 3-1 in a very tight game decided in the last 15 minutes. Joe Murray scored the goal with Ben Stobbart Man of Match.

After yet another break from action Upton U15s took a while to find their rythmn against a determined Ashville side. Unfortunately Ashville started the match without the full 11 which only served to disrupt Upton further as they coped with the unusual formation. On a boggy pitch though both sides played some good football and the match was played in an excellent spirit between two teams who know each other quite well. With the introduction of Scott after 15 minutes Upton began to create the chances their possession deserved, as a more measured build up started to create holes in the overworked Ashville defence. Owens tapped in after a powerful Scott run and drive, whilst Scott was also lethal from two yards as he connected with a swinging Walker corner. At 2 nil and starting to open up the Ashville defence at will it looked like Upton would go on to dominate but a couple of defence lapses lead first to a great one-handed tip over from captain Askew in goal and then Ashville getting back both a goal and their hope. The score was only 2-1 at half time. With the introduction of Perryman to the back line Walker moved from centre back to centre forward and scored another quick fire hat-trick, the last a pile driver from 20 yards. Owens was now creating chances freely from right wing whilst new signing Mjkosi and the returning Crawford were showing flashes of real skill as they tried to walk the ball into the net. However the best was saved for last when Hoijord-Beard lashed in a half-volley on the turn from 25 yards to score against his dad’s team and secure a 6-2 victory. Man of the match was Owens, but excellent performance again from Scott and Evans, with Walker showing how lethal he can be with good service


Leave a Reply