Results April 2nd & 3rd

April 4, 2011 · Filed Under Club News 

Mini Soccer

The Under 7’s drew 1-1 with Glenavon Eagles with Aaron Clausen scoring and Man of Match

Under 8’s – No Report

Under 9’s – No Report

Under 10’s – No Report


Under 10s  had a frustrating day at home to Liscard Ladies.  They dominated throughout and had by far more chances to score than their opponents, but it wasn’t to be and the game ended 0 – 0. Player of the match was Anna Cull

Under 12s girls are oozing confidence in home games at the moment and this showed from the kick off when they won the ball and headed to the opposition box where it stayed for while. Emma Johnson opened the scoring with a 15 yd left footed effort that the keeper couldn’t hold and it dropped just over the line. The goal was met with an eerie silence by the crowd, all waiting to see if it was given or not (all expecting a John Terry moment). When they realised it was a goal, the moment had passed, but it was 1-0 Upton. Another 5 minutes of attacking football, and good interplay between Charlotte Carroll and Rebecca Pritchard-Howarth produced Emma’s 2nd of the day, this time using her right foot, to make it 2-0 Upton. We made some substitutions, bringing on the speed and strength combination of Elizabeth Sullivan and Olivia Radford to occupy the wings and Jasmine Pugh came out of goal to take up the striker’s role. Heygarth had regrouped too and were making good headway into our half, stringing together a series of good breaks. However, Charlotte McNay was closing down the efforts on the left with a strong defensive performance, while Katie Murray was marshalling the right flanks. We did push back and when Heygarth cleared their lines, the high ball was met 20 yards out by the head of Charlotte Carroll. We stood mouths agasp as we followed the flight of the ball, Someone in the crowd said “it’s going in”…  and it did! Our first headed goal was from some distance, and adds to the growing list of stunning Carroll goals (think L’pool signed the wrong one) 3-0 Upton. Heygarth were not going to take this lying down and continued to break into our half. They were rewarded with a goal 8 minutes from half time when a good passing move gave them an opportunity which was taken really well, and struck across the keeper to lift the net – 3-1. Shannon Navarro, today’s captain, stepped up her game in the second half.  Elizabeth Sullivan picked her out with a great cross into the box, and Shannon kept a cool head to net her 1st of the day 4-1 Upton. Now it was the turn of the ever improving Morgan Mayes. Her forward thinking got her into several shooting positions, which she took well, only to see shots saved, cleared off the line, hitting the post…. and the crossbar! During this spell Jasmine also hit a lovely volley on the turn which fired just over the bar.Heygarth came back into the game, they kept the ball well, passed it around and for a spell were playing the better football. This was interrupted by the tenacity of Olivia who battled for the ball, ran 30 yards, then crossed to set up Shannon. She still had some work to do but carried the ball deeper into the box, then hit a very strong shot, low to the right, to take her tally for the season to 5 goals.The game ended 5-1 Upton, girl of the game was Emma Johnson. All credit to our girls and to  Heygarth Juniors who are much better than their league position suggests. 

Under 14s did not have a fixture scheduled again, frustratingly.

Under 14 Rangers went away for the reverse fixture with Waverton, having won 9 – 0 in the home game on 12th March. The girls were reminded to respect the ability of the opposition, who had forced a 7 – 7 draw with the under 14s earlier in the season in an end to end game. However, Rangers quickly took the lead and never looked back. Everyone played well and Waverton didn’t really get into the game. Sarah made a good save in the second half, and Brittany, taking keeper duties for the last 10 to give Sarah a run out, pulled off two or three saves, but our defence played superbly and was on top throughout. Isabel repeated her feat in the first game, scoring 6, Jodie added another 3 and dominated midfield with a range of great runs and astute passes. Leah and Ceri showed plenty of strength and determination, and deserved to get on the scoreboard, getting 1 eachBrittany had yet another good game at the back, and Amy ran and hassled the opposition, and was unlucky not to score. Sarah was as sound as ever in goal, and played some nice touches out. Nifa Duggan, captain for the day, was deservedly player of the match for another very assured performance in defence. 

Under 16s also played Waverton, but at Overchurch, and ran out 12 – 2 winners, which should hopefully boost confidence before the cup semi final. Abbie Bateman scored 4 and was player of the match. Louise O’Brien also scored 4, Jess Davies 2, and Freya Mumford and Holly Smith scored one each (Holly’s first goal of the season – well done!



The Under 11’s game finished with a 2 – 1 loss for Upton today but this was no reflection on the actual game. Upton dominated and controlled the game throughout with some well controlled passing. A goal from Micheal Pearsall in the second cancelled out glenavons goal that was scored in the first half. Sadly Glenavon scored to make it 2 – 1 and thats how it finished. Great performance sadly not the result to go with it . Ewan Noaln was a well deserved man of the match at the end but anyone could have quite easily gained the accolade.

The Under 12’s finished their league season in midweek with a 8-1 win over Manor Milan with 3 goals from Guy Stratton and others from Greg Saville, Dan Cardus,Jonathan Turk, mIchael Cooper and Man of Match Peter Doogan

The Under 13’s had a fantastic 2-0 Knockout Cup semi final win over Glenavon despite losing both league games to them to earn a place in the final, congratulations to Ken, Dave and all the lads. The goals came from Harry Ashcroft and Charlie Brereton Weir with Joe Abrahams Man of Match.

The Under 14’s made it double delight with a 2-1 semi final victory over Olympic thanks to goals from Mitchell Duggan also Man of Match and the last minute winner from Scott Billington. Well done to all involved with the team.

The Under 15’s went down in midweek 2-1 to Beechwood another excellent effort and then on Sunday  took to the field for their last league game against a new look Peninsular Stars. With only pride to play for both teams were fully committed in a hectic opening. with lots of free kicks it became difficult for either team to build momentum but as Upton got used to the conditions they began to use the width well and took a deserved lead when Crawford tapped in from 2 yards following a low cross from Hoijhord-Beard. Upton continued to have the bulk of the possession as half-time approached but were unable to extend their lead. With several changes at half-time to make sure everyone who was fit got a game Upton started the second half with energy as Scott and Walker linked well up front and Walker created several good opportunities but was unable to put the ball in the net. This gave Stars confidence and they began to throw men forward in search of an equaliser which duly came following a succession of corners as a dubious penlty was awarded which keeper Askew was unlucky not to save following a nasty bobble right in front of him. Man of the Match was McCormack who cleared the ball off the line 3 times. The teams meet again in the semi-final of the Challenge Cup next Sunday.



Leave a Reply